One of the pieces I was finishing today needed a bit of resin and I’d made too much, so I started filling a couple of small moulds – one containing a beautiful elephant hawkmoth. I accidentally put too much catalyst in the last batch of resin I had made and I also, impatiently, poured in too much at once. Next thing I know I can smell burning and there is steam coming up from the piece. The thing was getting so hot. Too much resin and too much catalyst = altogether too much going on in a small space = cracks! Had I wasted a really beautiful moth with my carelessness?
I was facinated though and settled down to watch the tiny spectacle I’d created by mistake. Every few seconds a little golden crack would appear in the resin. I watched as it filled up with these little flecks off gold and the moth grew darker as it singed and disappeared beneath the cracks. Macro fireworks. Beautiful.
Turned out quite interesting on the other side when I turned it out and polished it a bit.
…accidents can be OK.